what is it?
Sleep apnea is a common problem affecting several millions of North Americans. Anyone at any age can be affected. It is a potentially life-threatening disorder that occurs when breathing is interrupted during sleep, depriving your brain of oxygen. It's a serious condition which, if untreated increases your risk of heart disease, memory problems, weight gain, impotency, and a myriad of other serious and life threatening illnesses. Many indicators can be identified during a routine dental examination. If diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), you may be a candidate for our oral appliance therapy program which is an effective alternative to continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) therapy for the treatment of sleep apnea.
What are common signs and symptoms of Sleep Apnea?
• Snoring, Gasping / Silences
• Headaches, Jaw Pain, Bruxism (grinding and clenching during sleep),
• Excessive daytime fatigue, Tired despite adequate hours of sleep
• Restless sleep (wake up frequently throughout the night)
• Anxiety, Depression, Irritable mood
• Acid reflux
• Memory loss, Problems concentrating
• Snoring, Gasping / Pauses/ Snorts
• Restless sleep (abnormal positions and sweating during sleep), Bedwetting
• Difficult to wake up, Daytime sleepiness
Irritable, agitated, and aggressive mood (Behaviour, School, and Social problems)
• Trouble concentrating, Hyperactive
If you suspect you have sleep apnea, please contact us to book an appointment for an exam.
What is oral appliance therapy?
It is similar to wearing a custom fit nightgaurd on both the top and bottom teeth. The key difference is that this device holds the jaw in a slightly forward position to keep the airway open.
• Upper airway resistance syndrome (UARS)
• Mild / Moderate OSA
• Severe OSA intolerance of CPAP
• Use of Travel / Combine w CPAP
• Failure of Surgery
We pride our selves on a quick response time. Call us today at 604 740 5655
Location: 5699 Dolphin st. Sechelt B.C.
village dental house © 2020 All Rights Reserved